Wednesday 12 June 2013

Drawings: OCA Part 3: Townscapes IV - Drawing Statues


Statue of Peter Pan - Kensington Gardens
Pencil on Paper

Preliminary Sketch
Pencil on Paper
 
Learning Log
How did you use a limited colour palette to create a sense of depth?
Looking over my limited palette pieces I have to admit that creating a sense of depth was not something I concentrated on specifically, I tended to focus on the details of the buildings. However the buildings I chose to draw do have the feel of receding in places, but mostly due to the composition and the view I decided to draw from. I established the main focus and intensified the amount of colour and detail in these areas, causing other spaces to taper away into the background.
Did your preliminary sketches give you enough information for your final pieces of work?
I tended to include as much information as possible and then decide what to leave out later, so for the most part the answer is yes, however some pieces I had to abandon after reassessing sketches.
Would you approach this task differently another time?
I am quite proud and content with the pieces that I have produced, that’s not to say that all of them are great drawings, so I would not do it differently as such, only carry on exploring the subject more thoroughly.
Have you got the scale of the buildings right? Make notes on what worked and what didn’t.
I think the scale is correct for most of the buildings, establishing my eye line really helped this as well as plotting everything out first before filling in details. These definitely were not drawings that could be rushed, I had to maintain concentration and think about the angle and size of any structural line I put in.
Have you captured the colour and atmosphere in your studies? How did you do this?
Some of the architecture I chose to draw was quite imposing and powerfully prominent and I think I managed to replicate this impression in my drawings by intensifying it.
The statues were also very striking and prominent so I decided on a very close view to gain the sense of awe when looking up at them from below. This can be seen clearly in my sketch of G. F. Watts’ Physical Energy where I was sitting on the ground to draw.
When I was drawing Rodin’s The Burghers of Calais the atmosphere was quite different, though none the less impressive or prominent that the other statues I have drawn, the sense was focused more towards the solemnity and the feelings of the individuals it portrayed, all with a different emotion. I chose one figure hidden behind the others that cowers away clasping his head, wanting desperately not to be seen. To try and get the same atmosphere in my drawing was a challenge, I decided to try and almost hide him away in the drawing.
Rodin's Burghers of Calais - Victoria Tower Gardens
Charcoal on Green Paper

G. F. Watt's Physical Energy - Kensington Gardens
Graphite and Coloured Pencil on Paper

No comments:

Post a Comment