Thursday 20 June 2013

Drawings: OCA Part 3: Drawing Trees II - Larger Study of an Individual Tree

 Larger Study of an Individual Tree - Oak Tree
Pencil on Paper - A3
 
'In nature, nothing is perfect and everything is perfect. Trees can be contorted, bent in weird ways, and they're still beautiful.'
- Alice Walker
 
Elm Tree
Biro on Coloured Paper
 
I loved this exercise and the results of it. I started out with the drawing at the bottom of this post but had to abandon it after about fifteen minutes because it started to rain, the grey clouds should have given me an idea it would but I ignored them, fool that I am. Despite being unfinished I thought I would include it because I do quite like it, who knows, I may go back and try to complete it one day.
On a day with somewhat better weather I started the second piece in this post, the elm tree was within a mass of foliage so I thought the coloured paper might help to give an impression of this, I used biro because it would show up well against the green.
The last piece I completed was the large oak tree (first picture in this post) this particular tree caught my attention while I was in holiday in Cornwall because it had a wall built right up to it and because it dominated its surroundings but seemed calm and subdued at the same time.
I tried to concentrate on getting the ‘sense of directionality’ that the exercise asked for, letting the drawing grow mirroring the same way the tree itself has done, from a basic trunk and the extending its reach further and further. I tried to work fats and to keep up the tempo but I still spent at least an hour on the elm tree and probably more like three hours on the oak tree, I think the results have definitely been worth it though. I’m happy that I have managed to capture both the dominant presence of the oak as well as some of its intricate delicacy.
 
Abandoned Piece
Pencil on Paper

No comments:

Post a Comment