Tuesday 11 June 2013

Drawings: OCA Part 3: Townscapes III - A Limited Palette Study from your Sketches

The Wellington - Strand
Pen and Pencil on Orange Paper

National Portrait Gallery
Graphite and Coloured Pencil on Pastel Paper
 
I really enjoyed this exercise and drawing townscapes in general, it is not a subject that I have previously explored all that widely until now. I ended up completing several pieces for this particular exercise, partly because I was having fun with it but I also had an afternoon to waste in London after visiting the Picasso exhibition at the Courtauld Gallery.
I have found sketching the London architecture is great fun anyway, with all different styles juxtaposed together in such close proximity but producing drawings with a limited palette meant a challenge and generated some interesting results. I really like the piece I did of the Wellington in the Strand; its elongated architecture suited a portrait configuration very satisfyingly.
Coach and Horses - Bruton Street
Black and White Ink on Brown Paper


View Down Jermyn Street
Marker Pen on Orange Paper

No comments:

Post a Comment