Wednesday 22 May 2013

Drawings: OCA Part 3: Landscape Drawing IV - Plotting Space Through Composition and Structure.

Plotting Space Through Composition and Structure
Pencil on Paper

In what way did you simplify and select in your study? Were you able to focus on simple shapes and patterns amid all the visual information available to you?
It gets very difficult when it comes to selecting what elements to include in a drawing, trying to cram everything in just results in a mess. I tried to be consistent with the level of detail in specific drawings, not spending ages on one bit and neglecting another that are supposed to be on the same level. I began to find it easier to identify patterns if I were to sit and think a drawing out before picking up my pencil.
How did you create a sense of distance and form in your sketches?
Thinking about tone before starting helped me to confidently describe the forms in my sketches and lightening the background made the distance seem shift further away.
How did you use light and shade? Was it successful?
Drawing outside came with the problem of an unreliable light source, especially at the time of year I was drawing where one moment direct sunlight would form definite stark shadows and the next it would disappear behind the clouds obscuring the forms. Because of this the shading is slightly off in some of my drawings but the general idea is there.




No comments:

Post a Comment